Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Mohican Legacy


Mohican Earrings

It is possible to find inspiration in some very strange places. One of my favorite movies is "Last of the Mohicans" based on the book by James Fennimore Cooper. At the very end of the movie, the vengeful and sadistic Huron enemy, Magwa, is undone by Chingachgook with a battle axe type weapon. What does this have to do with earrings, you may be asking yourself? It is the fascinating shape of the weapon that has been stuck in my mind, wondering how I might be able to incorporate that shape into a design.

When I saw these chrysocolla wings, I knew the time had finally come to design earrings inspired by this beautiful native weapon. I added rusty red and brown Greek ceramic spacers and African copper rounds to the chrysocolla for contrast, and wrapped them in a heavier gauge oxidized copper wire to maintain their primitive character.

We find inspiration in the things we are drawn to, and I have always been a great admirer of native American culture. Even the native weapons had artistic lines and artful embellishments.



Gloria Ewing
Chrysalis Too on Etsy
Chrysalis Jewelry on Artfire

3 comments:

  1. Oh, those definitely have a choppy quality to them--love them with the dark wire, they do indeed have the feel of a Native American relic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - such fabulous shape to those stones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love these!! Perfect reference to that movie too. Makes me want to watch it again, it's been a long time!

    ReplyDelete